Advanced

Port-A-Cath usage in children with haemophilia : Experience of 53 cases

Ljung, R. LU ; van den Berg, M.; Petrini, P.; Tengborn, L. LU ; Scheibel, E.; Kekomäki, R. and Effenberger, W. (1998) In Acta Paediatrica, International Journal of Paediatrics 87(10). p.1051-1054
Abstract

Experience of the Port-A-Cath implantable venous access system in 53 children with severe or moderate haemophilia A or B from seven centres in five countries is reviewed. The cumulative duration of follow-up was 1578 months (median 30 months, range 1-114). Of the devices implanted, 70% (37/53) were used without complications (median follow-up 32 months; range 1-114) and the remaining 30% (16/53) were associated with various types of complication: infection, bacteraemia or septicaemia in 56% (9/16) of cases, i.e. a rate of 0.07 per follow-up year or 0.19 per 1000 patient days, or various technical complications occurring after a median of 32 months (range 4-75) of uncomplicated use in the remaining 44% (7/16). Of the patients with... (More)

Experience of the Port-A-Cath implantable venous access system in 53 children with severe or moderate haemophilia A or B from seven centres in five countries is reviewed. The cumulative duration of follow-up was 1578 months (median 30 months, range 1-114). Of the devices implanted, 70% (37/53) were used without complications (median follow-up 32 months; range 1-114) and the remaining 30% (16/53) were associated with various types of complication: infection, bacteraemia or septicaemia in 56% (9/16) of cases, i.e. a rate of 0.07 per follow-up year or 0.19 per 1000 patient days, or various technical complications occurring after a median of 32 months (range 4-75) of uncomplicated use in the remaining 44% (7/16). Of the patients with inhibitors, 64% (7/11) manifested complications. Both doctors and parents considered that the Port-A-Cath device can be used with an acceptable frequency and severity of complications, and that it enables regular prophylactic or on-demand home treatment of children with haemophilia to be begun at an early age.

(Less)
Please use this url to cite or link to this publication:
author
organization
publishing date
type
Contribution to journal
publication status
published
subject
keywords
Central venous catheter, Factor IX, Factor VIII, Haemophilia A, Haemophilia B, Port-A-Cath
in
Acta Paediatrica, International Journal of Paediatrics
volume
87
issue
10
pages
4 pages
publisher
Taylor & Francis
external identifiers
  • Scopus:0031697705
ISSN
1651-2227
DOI
10.1111/j.1651-2227.1998.tb01412.x
language
English
LU publication?
yes
id
cfb63a22-3110-4540-bbc5-2f09add9eb32
date added to LUP
2016-12-29 13:25:52
date last changed
2017-01-03 09:20:59
@article{cfb63a22-3110-4540-bbc5-2f09add9eb32,
  abstract     = {<p>Experience of the Port-A-Cath implantable venous access system in 53 children with severe or moderate haemophilia A or B from seven centres in five countries is reviewed. The cumulative duration of follow-up was 1578 months (median 30 months, range 1-114). Of the devices implanted, 70% (37/53) were used without complications (median follow-up 32 months; range 1-114) and the remaining 30% (16/53) were associated with various types of complication: infection, bacteraemia or septicaemia in 56% (9/16) of cases, i.e. a rate of 0.07 per follow-up year or 0.19 per 1000 patient days, or various technical complications occurring after a median of 32 months (range 4-75) of uncomplicated use in the remaining 44% (7/16). Of the patients with inhibitors, 64% (7/11) manifested complications. Both doctors and parents considered that the Port-A-Cath device can be used with an acceptable frequency and severity of complications, and that it enables regular prophylactic or on-demand home treatment of children with haemophilia to be begun at an early age.</p>},
  author       = {Ljung, R. and van den Berg, M. and Petrini, P. and Tengborn, L. and Scheibel, E. and Kekomäki, R. and Effenberger, W.},
  issn         = {1651-2227},
  keyword      = {Central venous catheter,Factor IX,Factor VIII,Haemophilia A,Haemophilia B,Port-A-Cath},
  language     = {eng},
  number       = {10},
  pages        = {1051--1054},
  publisher    = {Taylor & Francis},
  series       = {Acta Paediatrica, International Journal of Paediatrics},
  title        = {Port-A-Cath usage in children with haemophilia : Experience of 53 cases},
  url          = {http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1651-2227.1998.tb01412.x},
  volume       = {87},
  year         = {1998},
}