Advanced

MRI Findings in Spinal MRI of 306 Children with Scoliosis. A Comprehensive Retrospective Analysis.

Abul-Kasim, Kasim LU ; Gomez, Diana; McCormick, L; Maly, Pavel LU and Sundgren, Pia LU (2008) In The Neuroradiology Journal 21(5). p.672-677
Abstract
The aim of this study was to analyze the MRI findings and assess the prevalence of different associated structural abnormalities in children with scoliosis and to determine if the age of onset is a possible indicator of intraspinal pathology. This is a retrospective analysis of 663 consecutive MR examinations (319 patients). Thirteen patients with known intraspinal tumors were excluded and a total of 306 patients aged 2-18 years with scoliosis were subjected for analysis. The scoliosis was regarded as idiopathic in 62% of patients. Among the remaining 38% the most commonly seen abnormality was syrinx and Chiari malformations. There was no statistically significant difference in the occurrence of syrinx only or syrinx associated with Chiari... (More)
The aim of this study was to analyze the MRI findings and assess the prevalence of different associated structural abnormalities in children with scoliosis and to determine if the age of onset is a possible indicator of intraspinal pathology. This is a retrospective analysis of 663 consecutive MR examinations (319 patients). Thirteen patients with known intraspinal tumors were excluded and a total of 306 patients aged 2-18 years with scoliosis were subjected for analysis. The scoliosis was regarded as idiopathic in 62% of patients. Among the remaining 38% the most commonly seen abnormality was syrinx and Chiari malformations. There was no statistically significant difference in the occurrence of syrinx only or syrinx associated with Chiari I malformation in patients younger than ten years and those older than ten years. MRI examination is an essential part of the work up of scoliosis in the pediatric population especially before any corrective surgery. This study and a review of the current literature suggest there is no clinical marker that would definitely serve as an indicator of the presence of intraspinal pathology in these patients. (Less)
Please use this url to cite or link to this publication:
author
organization
publishing date
type
Contribution to journal
publication status
published
subject
in
The Neuroradiology Journal
volume
21
issue
5
pages
672 - 677
external identifiers
  • Scopus:58149310877
language
English
LU publication?
yes
id
50c31a98-9d5a-4193-8f9c-b066ae0ace4d (old id 1369059)
alternative location
http://www.researchgate.net/publication/229062164_MRI_Findings_in_Spinal_MRI_of_306_Children_with_Scoliosis
date added to LUP
2013-05-07 14:44:30
date last changed
2016-10-13 04:54:10
@misc{50c31a98-9d5a-4193-8f9c-b066ae0ace4d,
  abstract     = {The aim of this study was to analyze the MRI findings and assess the prevalence of different associated structural abnormalities in children with scoliosis and to determine if the age of onset is a possible indicator of intraspinal pathology. This is a retrospective analysis of 663 consecutive MR examinations (319 patients). Thirteen patients with known intraspinal tumors were excluded and a total of 306 patients aged 2-18 years with scoliosis were subjected for analysis. The scoliosis was regarded as idiopathic in 62% of patients. Among the remaining 38% the most commonly seen abnormality was syrinx and Chiari malformations. There was no statistically significant difference in the occurrence of syrinx only or syrinx associated with Chiari I malformation in patients younger than ten years and those older than ten years. MRI examination is an essential part of the work up of scoliosis in the pediatric population especially before any corrective surgery. This study and a review of the current literature suggest there is no clinical marker that would definitely serve as an indicator of the presence of intraspinal pathology in these patients.},
  author       = {Abul-Kasim, Kasim and Gomez, Diana and McCormick, L and Maly, Pavel and Sundgren, Pia},
  language     = {eng},
  number       = {5},
  pages        = {672--677},
  series       = {The Neuroradiology Journal},
  title        = {MRI Findings in Spinal MRI of 306 Children with Scoliosis. A Comprehensive Retrospective Analysis.},
  volume       = {21},
  year         = {2008},
}