Advanced

Design of a reverse osmosis plant for leachate treatment aiming for safe disposal

Thörneby, Lars LU ; Hogland, W; Stenis, Jan LU ; Mathiasson, Lennart LU and Somogyi, P (2003) In Waste Management & Research 21(5). p.424-435
Abstract
Leachate treatment is one of the major environmental issues faced by landfill owners. One promising method for reduction of pollutant discharge is reverse osmosis (RO). RO technology was tested at a pilot plant at Hedeskoga Landfill in southern Sweden. This landfill receives municipal solid waste (MSW) and industrial, commercial and institutional (IC&I) waste, and produces about 3000 m3/ha of leachate annually.



Annual variations in the volume of leachate produced, estimated from changes in leachate electrical conductivity, were relatively small and should therefore have a minor effect on the main performance parameter of an RO plant, i.e., the achievable volume reduction. The volume reduction experiments with... (More)
Leachate treatment is one of the major environmental issues faced by landfill owners. One promising method for reduction of pollutant discharge is reverse osmosis (RO). RO technology was tested at a pilot plant at Hedeskoga Landfill in southern Sweden. This landfill receives municipal solid waste (MSW) and industrial, commercial and institutional (IC&I) waste, and produces about 3000 m3/ha of leachate annually.



Annual variations in the volume of leachate produced, estimated from changes in leachate electrical conductivity, were relatively small and should therefore have a minor effect on the main performance parameter of an RO plant, i.e., the achievable volume reduction. The volume reduction experiments with 200-1000 litres of raw leachate was more than 80% (4MPa) and the remaining 20% was left as retentate. However, raw leachate caused severe fouling problems in a continuous flow run and after 24 hours, the flux had decreased to about 20% of the initial value. By pre-treating the leachate in a storage pond combined with a wetland, the situation was significantly improved and the decrease in membrane flux was only 0.2% per hour during a 200 hour run. The retention in terms of total solids and chemical oxygen demand was 90%, and for ammonia, it was 82%, at a volume reduction of 50%.



The HELP-model was used for prediction of the water balance for the Hedeskoga landfill, with special focus on estimation of potential evapotranspiration. With different types of vegetation and a volume reduction of 75% in the RO plant, it was found possible to achieve safe disposal by irrigating 25% to 40% of the leachate-producing landfill area with pre-treated leachate.



Pre-treatment with wetlands and nature based systems reduce the need of detergents for cleaning of the membranes and water only can be used. Short pre-treatment by aeration is not sufficient to bring leachate to a condition sustainable for RO-treatment. In that case, it was found necessary with alkaline-acid-alkaline treatment to restore the permeability. The total treatment cost for a full scale treatment plant at Hedeskoga was estimated to be approximately 30 SEK/m3, of which 25 is capital and 5 is operational costs. This can be compared to the total treatment costs for municipal sewage in Sweden, which is 8 SEK/m3. (Less)
Please use this url to cite or link to this publication:
author
organization
publishing date
type
Contribution to journal
publication status
published
subject
in
Waste Management & Research
volume
21
issue
5
pages
424 - 435
publisher
SAGE Publications Inc.
external identifiers
  • pmid:14661890
  • wos:000186606700005
  • scopus:0242558344
ISSN
1096-3669
DOI
10.1177/0734242X0302100505
language
English
LU publication?
yes
id
796c3193-6e91-4398-902e-f644d8562f43 (old id 128992)
date added to LUP
2007-06-28 09:02:09
date last changed
2018-01-07 09:13:08
@article{796c3193-6e91-4398-902e-f644d8562f43,
  abstract     = {Leachate treatment is one of the major environmental issues faced by landfill owners. One promising method for reduction of pollutant discharge is reverse osmosis (RO). RO technology was tested at a pilot plant at Hedeskoga Landfill in southern Sweden. This landfill receives municipal solid waste (MSW) and industrial, commercial and institutional (IC&amp;I) waste, and produces about 3000 m3/ha of leachate annually. <br/><br>
<br/><br>
Annual variations in the volume of leachate produced, estimated from changes in leachate electrical conductivity, were relatively small and should therefore have a minor effect on the main performance parameter of an RO plant, i.e., the achievable volume reduction. The volume reduction experiments with 200-1000 litres of raw leachate was more than 80% (4MPa) and the remaining 20% was left as retentate. However, raw leachate caused severe fouling problems in a continuous flow run and after 24 hours, the flux had decreased to about 20% of the initial value. By pre-treating the leachate in a storage pond combined with a wetland, the situation was significantly improved and the decrease in membrane flux was only 0.2% per hour during a 200 hour run. The retention in terms of total solids and chemical oxygen demand was 90%, and for ammonia, it was 82%, at a volume reduction of 50%. <br/><br>
<br/><br>
The HELP-model was used for prediction of the water balance for the Hedeskoga landfill, with special focus on estimation of potential evapotranspiration. With different types of vegetation and a volume reduction of 75% in the RO plant, it was found possible to achieve safe disposal by irrigating 25% to 40% of the leachate-producing landfill area with pre-treated leachate. <br/><br>
<br/><br>
Pre-treatment with wetlands and nature based systems reduce the need of detergents for cleaning of the membranes and water only can be used. Short pre-treatment by aeration is not sufficient to bring leachate to a condition sustainable for RO-treatment. In that case, it was found necessary with alkaline-acid-alkaline treatment to restore the permeability. The total treatment cost for a full scale treatment plant at Hedeskoga was estimated to be approximately 30 SEK/m3, of which 25 is capital and 5 is operational costs. This can be compared to the total treatment costs for municipal sewage in Sweden, which is 8 SEK/m3.},
  author       = {Thörneby, Lars and Hogland, W and Stenis, Jan and Mathiasson, Lennart and Somogyi, P},
  issn         = {1096-3669},
  language     = {eng},
  number       = {5},
  pages        = {424--435},
  publisher    = {SAGE Publications Inc.},
  series       = {Waste Management & Research},
  title        = {Design of a reverse osmosis plant for leachate treatment aiming for safe disposal},
  url          = {http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0734242X0302100505},
  volume       = {21},
  year         = {2003},
}