Advanced

No Interactions Between Previously Associated 2-Hour Glucose Gene Variants and Physical Activity or BMI on 2-Hour Glucose Levels

Scott, Robert A.; Chu, Audrey Y.; Grarup, Niels; Manning, Alisa K.; Hivert, Marie-France; Shungin, Dmitry LU ; Toenjes, Anke; Yesupriya, Ajay; Barnes, Daniel and Bouatia-Naji, Nabila, et al. (2012) In Diabetes 61(5). p.1291-1296
Abstract
Gene-lifestyle interactions have been suggested to contribute to the development of type 2 diabetes. Glucose levels 2 h after a standard 75-g glucose challenge are used to diagnose diabetes and are associated with both genetic and lifestyle factors. However, whether these factors interact to determine 2-h glucose levels is unknown. We meta-analyzed single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) X BMI and SNP x physical activity (PA) interaction regression models for five SNPs previously associated with 2-h glucose levels from up to 22 studies comprising 54,884 individuals without diabetes. PA levels were dichotomized, with individuals below the first quintile classified as inactive (20%) and the remainder as active (80%). BMI was considered a... (More)
Gene-lifestyle interactions have been suggested to contribute to the development of type 2 diabetes. Glucose levels 2 h after a standard 75-g glucose challenge are used to diagnose diabetes and are associated with both genetic and lifestyle factors. However, whether these factors interact to determine 2-h glucose levels is unknown. We meta-analyzed single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) X BMI and SNP x physical activity (PA) interaction regression models for five SNPs previously associated with 2-h glucose levels from up to 22 studies comprising 54,884 individuals without diabetes. PA levels were dichotomized, with individuals below the first quintile classified as inactive (20%) and the remainder as active (80%). BMI was considered a continuous trait. Inactive individuals had higher 2-h glucose levels than active individuals (beta = 0.22 mmol/L [95% CI 0.13-0.31], P = 1.63 X 10(-6)). All SNPs were associated with 2-h glucose (beta = 0.06-0.12 mmol/allele, P <= 1.53 X 10(-7)), but no significant interactions were found with PA (P > 0.18) or BMI (P >= 0.04). In this large study of gene-lifestyle interaction, we observed no interactions between genetic and lifestyle factors, both of which were associated with 2-h glucose. It is perhaps unlikely that top loci from genome-wide association studies will exhibit strong subgroup-specific effects, and may not, therefore, make the best candidates for the study of interactions. Diabetes 61:1291-1296, 2012 (Less)
Please use this url to cite or link to this publication:
author
, et al. (More)
(Less)
organization
publishing date
type
Contribution to journal
publication status
published
subject
in
Diabetes
volume
61
issue
5
pages
1291 - 1296
publisher
American Diabetes Association Inc.
external identifiers
  • wos:000303179100042
  • scopus:84860587659
ISSN
1939-327X
DOI
10.2337/db11-0973
language
English
LU publication?
yes
id
b018f50c-e478-4679-80e3-a9de13827c99 (old id 2563092)
date added to LUP
2012-06-01 08:43:32
date last changed
2017-09-10 04:10:17
@article{b018f50c-e478-4679-80e3-a9de13827c99,
  abstract     = {Gene-lifestyle interactions have been suggested to contribute to the development of type 2 diabetes. Glucose levels 2 h after a standard 75-g glucose challenge are used to diagnose diabetes and are associated with both genetic and lifestyle factors. However, whether these factors interact to determine 2-h glucose levels is unknown. We meta-analyzed single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) X BMI and SNP x physical activity (PA) interaction regression models for five SNPs previously associated with 2-h glucose levels from up to 22 studies comprising 54,884 individuals without diabetes. PA levels were dichotomized, with individuals below the first quintile classified as inactive (20%) and the remainder as active (80%). BMI was considered a continuous trait. Inactive individuals had higher 2-h glucose levels than active individuals (beta = 0.22 mmol/L [95% CI 0.13-0.31], P = 1.63 X 10(-6)). All SNPs were associated with 2-h glucose (beta = 0.06-0.12 mmol/allele, P &lt;= 1.53 X 10(-7)), but no significant interactions were found with PA (P &gt; 0.18) or BMI (P &gt;= 0.04). In this large study of gene-lifestyle interaction, we observed no interactions between genetic and lifestyle factors, both of which were associated with 2-h glucose. It is perhaps unlikely that top loci from genome-wide association studies will exhibit strong subgroup-specific effects, and may not, therefore, make the best candidates for the study of interactions. Diabetes 61:1291-1296, 2012},
  author       = {Scott, Robert A. and Chu, Audrey Y. and Grarup, Niels and Manning, Alisa K. and Hivert, Marie-France and Shungin, Dmitry and Toenjes, Anke and Yesupriya, Ajay and Barnes, Daniel and Bouatia-Naji, Nabila and Glazer, Nicole L. and Jackson, Anne U. and Kutalik, Zoltan and Lagou, Vasiliki and Marek, Diana and Rasmussen-Torvik, Laura J. and Stringham, Heather M. and Tanaka, Toshiko and Aadahl, Mette and Arking, Dan E. and Bergmann, Sven and Boerwinkle, Eric and Bonnycastle, Lori L. and Bornstein, Stefan R. and Brunner, Eric and Bumpstead, Suzannah J. and Brage, Soren and Carlson, Olga D. and Chen, Han and Chen, Yii-Der Ida and Chines, Peter S. and Collins, Francis S. and Couper, David J. and Dennison, Elaine M. and Dowling, Nicole F. and Egan, Josephine S. and Ekelund, Ulf and Erdos, Michael R. and Forouhi, Nita G. and Fox, Caroline S. and Goodarzi, Mark O. and Graessler, Juergen and Gustafsson, Stefan and Hallmans, Goeran and Hansen, Torben and Hingorani, Aroon and Holloway, John W. and Hu, Frank B. and Isomaa, Bo and Jameson, Karen A. and Johansson, Ingegerd and Jonsson, Anna and Jorgensen, Torben and Kivimaki, Mika and Kovacs, Peter and Kumari, Meena and Kuusisto, Johanna and Laakso, Markku and Lecoeur, Cecile and Levy-Marchal, Claire and Li, Guo and Loos, Ruth J. F. and Lyssenko, Valeriya and Marmot, Michael and Marques-Vidal, Pedro and Morken, Mario A. and Mueller, Gabriele and North, Kari E. and Pankow, James S. and Payne, Felicity and Prokopenko, Inga and Psaty, Bruce M. and Renström, Frida and Rice, Ken and Rotter, Jerome I. and Rybin, Denis and Sandholt, Camilla H. and Sayer, Avan A. and Shrader, Peter and Schwarz, Peter E. H. and Siscovick, David S. and Stancakova, Alena and Stumvoll, Michael and Teslovich, Tanya M. and Waeber, Gerard and Williams, Gordon H. and Witte, Daniel R. and Wood, Andrew R. and Xie, Weijia and Boehnke, Michael and Cooper, Cyrus and Ferrucci, Luigi and Froguel, Philippe and Groop, Leif and Kao, W. H. Linda and Vollenweider, Peter and Walker, Mark and Watanabe, Richard M. and Pedersen, Oluf and Meigs, James B. and Ingelsson, Erik and Barroso, Ines and Florez, Jose C. and Franks, Paul and Dupuis, Josee and Wareham, Nicholas J. and Langenberg, Claudia},
  issn         = {1939-327X},
  language     = {eng},
  number       = {5},
  pages        = {1291--1296},
  publisher    = {American Diabetes Association Inc.},
  series       = {Diabetes},
  title        = {No Interactions Between Previously Associated 2-Hour Glucose Gene Variants and Physical Activity or BMI on 2-Hour Glucose Levels},
  url          = {http://dx.doi.org/10.2337/db11-0973},
  volume       = {61},
  year         = {2012},
}