Advanced

Validation of SenseWear Armband in children, adolescents, and adults

Lopez, A. Garcia; Brønd, Jan Christian; Andersen, L B; Dencker, M. LU and Arvidsson, D. LU (2017) In Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports
Abstract

SenseWear Armband (SW) is a multisensor monitor to assess physical activity and energy expenditure. Its prediction algorithms have been updated periodically. The aim was to validate SW in children, adolescents, and adults. The most recent SW algorithm 5.2 (SW5.2) and the previous version 2.2 (SW2.2) were evaluated for estimation of energy expenditure during semi-structured activities in 35 children, 31 adolescents, and 36 adults with indirect calorimetry as reference. Energy expenditure estimated from waist-worn ActiGraph GT3X+ data (AG) was used for comparison. Improvements in measurement errors were demonstrated with SW5.2 compared to SW2.2, especially in children and for biking. The overall mean absolute percent error with SW5.2 was... (More)

SenseWear Armband (SW) is a multisensor monitor to assess physical activity and energy expenditure. Its prediction algorithms have been updated periodically. The aim was to validate SW in children, adolescents, and adults. The most recent SW algorithm 5.2 (SW5.2) and the previous version 2.2 (SW2.2) were evaluated for estimation of energy expenditure during semi-structured activities in 35 children, 31 adolescents, and 36 adults with indirect calorimetry as reference. Energy expenditure estimated from waist-worn ActiGraph GT3X+ data (AG) was used for comparison. Improvements in measurement errors were demonstrated with SW5.2 compared to SW2.2, especially in children and for biking. The overall mean absolute percent error with SW5.2 was 24% in children, 23% in adolescents, and 20% in adults. The error was larger for sitting and standing (23%-32%) and for basketball and biking (19%-35%), compared to walking and running (8%-20%). The overall mean absolute error with AG was 28% in children, 22% in adolescents, and 28% in adults. The absolute percent error for biking was 32%-74% with AG. In general, SW and AG underestimated energy expenditure. However, both methods demonstrated a proportional bias, with increasing underestimation for increasing energy expenditure level, in addition to the large individual error. SW provides measures of energy expenditure level with similar accuracy in children, adolescents, and adults with the improvements in the updated algorithms. Although SW captures biking better than AG, these methods share remaining measurements errors requiring further improvements for accurate measures of physical activity and energy expenditure in clinical and epidemiological research.

(Less)
Please use this url to cite or link to this publication:
author
organization
publishing date
type
Contribution to journal
publication status
epub
subject
keywords
ActiGraph, Energy expenditure, Indirect calorimetry, Multisensor, Physical activity
in
Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports
publisher
Wiley-Blackwell
external identifiers
  • scopus:85021404205
ISSN
0905-7188
DOI
10.1111/sms.12920
language
English
LU publication?
yes
id
eb9fe6d9-03d4-4956-a8f3-9587f4de65f1
date added to LUP
2017-08-22 15:01:21
date last changed
2017-08-23 03:00:02
@article{eb9fe6d9-03d4-4956-a8f3-9587f4de65f1,
  abstract     = {<p>SenseWear Armband (SW) is a multisensor monitor to assess physical activity and energy expenditure. Its prediction algorithms have been updated periodically. The aim was to validate SW in children, adolescents, and adults. The most recent SW algorithm 5.2 (SW5.2) and the previous version 2.2 (SW2.2) were evaluated for estimation of energy expenditure during semi-structured activities in 35 children, 31 adolescents, and 36 adults with indirect calorimetry as reference. Energy expenditure estimated from waist-worn ActiGraph GT3X+ data (AG) was used for comparison. Improvements in measurement errors were demonstrated with SW5.2 compared to SW2.2, especially in children and for biking. The overall mean absolute percent error with SW5.2 was 24% in children, 23% in adolescents, and 20% in adults. The error was larger for sitting and standing (23%-32%) and for basketball and biking (19%-35%), compared to walking and running (8%-20%). The overall mean absolute error with AG was 28% in children, 22% in adolescents, and 28% in adults. The absolute percent error for biking was 32%-74% with AG. In general, SW and AG underestimated energy expenditure. However, both methods demonstrated a proportional bias, with increasing underestimation for increasing energy expenditure level, in addition to the large individual error. SW provides measures of energy expenditure level with similar accuracy in children, adolescents, and adults with the improvements in the updated algorithms. Although SW captures biking better than AG, these methods share remaining measurements errors requiring further improvements for accurate measures of physical activity and energy expenditure in clinical and epidemiological research.</p>},
  author       = {Lopez, A. Garcia and Brønd, Jan Christian and Andersen, L B and Dencker, M. and Arvidsson, D.},
  issn         = {0905-7188},
  keyword      = {ActiGraph,Energy expenditure,Indirect calorimetry,Multisensor,Physical activity},
  language     = {eng},
  month        = {06},
  publisher    = {Wiley-Blackwell},
  series       = {Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports},
  title        = {Validation of SenseWear Armband in children, adolescents, and adults},
  url          = {http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/sms.12920},
  year         = {2017},
}